Tom Ford is the fashion designer who transformed Gucci into a fashion powerhouse. He specializes in revitalizing past trends to appeal to the modern audience. Aside from his success as a designer, he has also gained praise as a film director. Behind the stunning visual creations, here are the following facts:
1. His grandmother inspired his fashion sense.
- Ford described his grandmother as “very stylish in a very Texas way–everything big and flashy”. Everything she wore was large, including her hair, hats, and jewelry.
- Her glamorous lifestyle influenced the striking and Western feel of Ford’s redesigned Gucci products.
2. Ford was a popular commercial actor.
- After dropping out as an art history major, his good looks earned him many acting jobs. At one point, twelve of his advertisements aired at the same time.
- It was during a shoot Ford discovered his interest in directing, whether it was film or a new venture.
3. He graduated in architecture from the Parsons School of Design.
- As a child, Ford would rearrange the living room furniture whenever his parents went out for the evening.
- He realized his love for fashion during his internship at Chloé, a French luxury fashion house.
4. Tom Ford faced great difficulty in entering the fashion world.
- He called several fashion houses every day until Cathy Hardwick granted him an interview. The sportswear designer intended to reject him, but Ford’s portfolio (and appearance) landed him the job in 10 minutes.
- Later, his applications to Armani, Versace, and Fendi were all turned down. Dawn Mello, then-creative director of Gucci, accepted him after a successful trial project.
5. Ford saved Gucci from bankruptcy.
- He redesigned the products to be modern and made from innovative materials. The sexual appeal of his updated retro style clothing line made Ford a household name.
- At the end of the year Ford became creative director, Gucci earned $500 million in sales. In less than five years, the brand became worth more than $4 billion.
6. He has been with his partner Richard Buckley for over 30 years.
- Ford met the fashion journalist during a fashion show on New Year’s Eve of 1986. It was love at first sight. Ford confirmed his feelings for Buckley during a 10-floor ride in an elevator.
- The couple moved in together after one month of meeting each other. They share homes in several cities such as London, Paris, and Los Angeles.
7. Tom Ford directed two Oscar-nominated films.
- He wrote the screenplay of the Christopher Isherwood novel, “A Single Man.” The movie adaptation starred Colin Firth as a bereaved gay professor.
- He also wrote the screenplay of Nocturnal Animals, starring Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal. The film won the Grand Jury Prize at the Venice Film Festival.
Tom Ford’s unique sense of modern culture revived and transformed one of the most famous brands in the world. His eye and passion for visual beauty has made him successful in fashion and beyond.
To learn more about other inspiring fashion designers, check out their interesting facts here.